Sunday, April 25, 2010

Grandmother and Her New Television

January 2010, my charming grandmother was lying down at the Harapan Kita Hospital in West Jakarta with a large screen television, when she said to my brother that she wondered it was nice if she had one large television at her own room, at home, in Magelang. Therefore, she asked my brother, Kris, how much does it cost to buy one like the one at the hospital.

Three months after that television issue between them, my brother told me to buy one for her. Then, via e-mail I asked if any of our cousins would join us. Some of them responded and then I flied to Magelang. Jakarta - Magelang was only one hour flight.


Pak Nur, the guardian angel of my grandmother, picked me up at the Adi Sutjipto airport. Then we went to the electronic shop, named A Takrib, in Yogyakarta - Central Java.  I bought a 32 inch wide screen LG television, the fine wall bracket and good quality wires.

Two hours drive from Yogyakarta to Magelang, with some traffics, because it was afternoon. As we arrived to my grandmother house, it was near the evening time, and she was sitting at the dining room near the courtyard with one gentlement guest, her next house neighbor. She surprised when she saw what I brought. Touchy moment when she knew it was from whole of her grandchildren with the moment of KARTINI day!

Took three hours to install the television inside her room. Four gentle boys help me. They were employees from the electronic shop in Yogyakarta. They worked hard to install it. While the hectic moment of installation, my grandmother had another 3 groups of guests. Some Pangestu friends and some not. She has many guests everyday, every moment where she is, even out of her house. She is famous!


Eight am sharp the boys already installed her new television and the guests went home almost at the same time. She was very happy and of course excited. She prepared to watch her favourite sinetron on her bed.

She put her body on a very comfortable position and I turned the volume on high level. I thought it was really loud, and that would be loud enough for her. Then I went to the guest room and while I am talking on the phone to Jakarta, she suddenly came to the living room near the guest room and watched the old television and then made its sound louder. I wondered what happened with the new television. When I asked her, she said that she did not know how to make it louder. So, I asked her came back to her room and teached her how to use the new remote control.

She learned fast and amically fast enough with the new stuffs. She watched it when the film was running and fall a slept when the advertising was. I hope with this new one, she can has enough time to rest. She slept after all the sinetron over, drank the jamu serbaguna, brushed her teeth, wash her feet and said her pray. It was half past ten pm.

The next morning she learned more how to use the remote control. We had breakfast and lunch together. She hugged me tight and did not want to release me for some minutes. She said 'please do not go so fast'. I wish I can go to see her often.


Love you Grandny

2 comments:

  1. courtyardnyaaaa kereeennnn ^^
    selamat hari Kartini, eyang :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for comming dear!

    happy kartini day dai!

    ReplyDelete